Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Spoken Word

I have decided that the spoken word sucks.

Here is my thinking. At this moment my life is a fucking train wreck and it just keeps on giving. However I know that many, many people go through what I am going through and more.

I love to hear peoples experiences, their messy lives. I love to hear how they survived it all, the fucked up coping skills they used or the humor.

You don't get that in a conversation unless you have created a strong bond with the person and by that time you already know all their shit.

This is why I love books and film. You can fucking taste the emotion behind the experience, you can literally feel the struggle, the fight, the fuck whatever it may be.

We do not converse in a manner that tells a story.

Years from now some poor fucked up girl will hear me commenting on this time in my life and she will perk up with hope waiting to identify only to be disappointed. I will sweep it away, minimize it to a time in my life that was hard.

I will not do justice to the darkness I live in, the pain, the hopelessness I feel, the fear I have for my brokenhearted children.

I will be on the other side of it, I will have removed myself from it. I will have already overcome it.

We truly miss out on so much experience by not telling our stories, by not listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment